PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground collision YMML - Virgin/Jetstar
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2013, 09:04
004wercras

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tick Tock

Aargh yes, yet again that good old issue raises its head, its called 'minimal standards'. The benchmark has been lowered and lowered over the years. In many cases instead of having a Gingerbeer on the headset complete with Gingerbeer wing walkers you now have guys who were plumbers and house painters 6 months ago now pushing back aircraft. That is the standard, 2013, and that is a fact.
I once had a 30 year + Gingerbeer stop us mid push (737-300) just after we started to roll. Why? Because he 'heard something that wasn't right'. Our panel showed nothing, then 2 seconds later bingo, there goes a red light on the display. Aircraft towed back into the blocks and U/S. Bloody unbelievable!! That is experience for you, unlike today's house painter pushing the aircraft around.

The Melbourne accident, at this point, looks like an accident that should not have ever occurred. Good weather, serviceable aircraft, vision unobstructed. One plane pulls up short by 10m and old mate on the adjacent bay doing the push misses the lot, including beacons?? It's either stupidity or inexperience. My guess is inexperience. Could it have happened with a 30 year + Gingerbeer in charge, yep of course it could. But not as likely. It's a simple analysis, over time you take away the qualified Engineer and wing walkers and this is what you get.
I know of another pushback stopped by a rampie who was on the headsets because he thought he spotted a fuel leak. It was water from a aircon pack doing its job on a stinking hot summer day. He had no idea of absolutely anything about an aircraft. Scary ****.

Mr Borghetti and other penny pinching bean counters you reap what you sew. Welcome to a lesson in karma

P.S Anybody wishing for an ATSB 'recommendation' out of this, keep dreaming.
Anybody thinking CAsA could give a toss about this you are also dreaming.