PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 12th Aug 2013, 07:03
contacttower118.2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sapco2
The airlines in all honesty aren't really interested in your training route unless you're already on one of those pre-selected recognised cadet schemes. They are more interested in the candidate's personal qualities, his/her age and educational background. Also whether or not they'll fit into the airline team.
I'm interested in the basis for that statement sapco2 especially since your profile indicates you are a very experienced pilot. May I ask though whether you work for an airline that recruits a lot of pilots for whom it is their first airline job?

The view I have formed is that while 10-20 years ago the modular+self improver route may have been a reliable way to get to a large operator today the integrated schools do have a bit of a strangle hold over the UK airlines at least...just look at CTC's client list and their record! I know a number of airlines like Jet2, Aer Lingus (and I guess we will see about Thomson this winter) sometimes buck that trend but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule unless one has contacts on the inside.

I don't doubt that once a few hundred hours are accumulated on a MPA the training background ceases to be as important provided one is a good pilot and has the team skills etc but for that first job I have yet to see any evidence to contradict my belief that integrated is a more reliable route.

Originally Posted by john_smith
How many airline recruiters do you know? How do you know what airlines prefer?
john_smith I find it slightly strange you take issue with smartguy's assertion that airlines prefer integrated since you are an easyJet pilot...an airline that has apparently made a policy out of only taking integrated at cadet level (yes obviously I know they are not the only UK airline!). I know they have recently taken experienced non-TR but that was only with military or MPA time.

Perhaps therefore you can answer a question for me...

If you have done modular and only have lots of single pilot time (say you instructed for a bit or whatever...) with the exception of the CTC ATP route or perhaps working for easy in a ground role for a while how are you supposed to get into the company without multi crew time? Is it possible at the moment through any route?

The above is something I have been trying to find an answer to for a while so I would be grateful if you could help me out on that one...