PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanish ATC? WHY?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2013, 06:42
Daermon ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@BOAC: I think it would be a fair bet to assume you are twice my age or thereabouts. I will obviously not go into what was done in spanish atc while I was in school due to lack of personal experience. In any case, let's assume you are right in this point (just for the sake of argument. A few anecdotical evidences does not mount up to sufficient proof, not even statistically) and spanish ATC did favor Iberia a decade ago. This would be the base for the perception bias I mentioned in my previous post.

However since 2010 we were demonized by the whole of spanish society starting precisely with pilots who blamed on ATC every delay they had incurred themselves. And since it struck a willing ear on their passengers as it also confirmed their previous idea (insistently hammered on the media by the government), nobody believed otherwise.

As I explained before I don't think that nowaday any of us (save a few statistically irrelevant ones, mostly close to retirement) would favor national companies... specially since they are now brittish anyway
If you think otherwise the burden of proof lies with you to provide a valid explanation on why any of us would take that extra work.

@Out of the Gap: Senasa is no more the only english certification agency in Spain and we can use other european ones as well... in fact I (and a lot of atcos I know) have our rating from Belgium based The English exam that lets you fly (got a very good impression of them)

@Singapurcanac: Well, that is an interesting point... we have here two norms working. The lower ranking labor "agreement" states that Aena does have to give us our planning with 30 days in advance... and to be fair, Aena keeps their end of the bargain here... to a certain extent.
Law 9/2010 http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2010/04/1...-2010-5983.pdf (spanish only, sorry) states that the ANSP provider must ensure the continuity of service without any reduction and as it is a Law it ranks in Spain above all Labor Agreements including the Worker's Statute... therefore Aena uses this as a cudgel stating that since they must comply with the law we do not have any rights other that those specifically stated there (and a lower ranking normative mentioned in it about resting periods for atcs) and they have thus no restriction for altering their planification even with one day notice.
In fact Aena has made several shift plannings fully knowing that some of the staff there would not be available (long-term sickness, maternity,..) and then "correcting" that with a few days notice with mandatory services.