PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2013, 02:10
roulishollandais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ptolemee and Herrschel did not need lasers

Originally Posted by Machinbird
I had an opportunity to try these on at a recent air show and they seem to do the job quite well.
Thank you for that information, and testing!

Astronomy amateurs are still too often using green lasers during stars watching meetings to show a point/star/observed galaxy position in the sky. They are used too to point a satellite or ISS. Sometimes it is a wrong observation and instead a satellite they point an aircraft!

Really astronomy amateurs do not need lasers, the chart of the sky is enough. A good organisation of the evening getting progressiveely darker helps beginners to navigate between increasing number of stars and learn that geography after good briefing . It is much better than agressive lasers.

Lasers used on telescopes as pointers are dangerous too when suddenly you discover an aircraft before the moon for instance and are turning quickly the telescopes toward the aircraft and the laser pointer with it!

Couldn't we have to do something like the radio qualification where we would be sworing proper use of lasers, learning the regulation and how and why laser is dangerous.

I am seeing that astronomy amateurs are totally unaware of the danger and discovering on that thread the very high frequency of lasers "attacks" conscious or not.
I listened that some astronomy amateurs around me were estonished to see police coming in the middle of the night and developped conspiration theory to explain such a visit.

The use of protective glasses or their clip version during critical parts of the flight surely would be useful, waiting ful protective coatings of the windshield.