PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civil or Military?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2003, 12:26
Halfbaked_Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Military Backgrounds... What's involved?

Hey

I haven't posted around here recently (my last one being, what, perhaps two months ago?), purely due to the time I have been spending studying for school!

Anyway, as some of you may know, I am 14 with aspirations to fly the 747-400 some day, and all the help I was given in my last topic proceeded my knowledge a great deal on how I should achieve this ambition.

After reviewing all the replies to my and others' topics, I have come up with three different routes I could take, so I'll stop babbling and get on with it:

First way: Achieve reasonable (hehe) GCSEs and 'A' Levels then study either Aerodynamics or Aerospacial Engineering at a respectable university, and continue to get a Degree from the subject in question, from which I shall apply for a sponsored place in the EasyJet scheme. And from there on, I will grow my hours until, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

The 'Chair To Fall Back On' way: If the above route does not work out for me (although I remain in a positive mood about it!), my step from there on would be, with my education, train for a CFI PPL Rating (if you are not familiar, this means an Instructor who can only instruct students for the PPL, which excludes such areas as Night, IMC etc) , and see where it takes me from there.

However.......

The Military way!

I will not even bother to try and explain how I will achieve this, because this is where I come to the question of the title: What exactly is involved in a Military background?

To be more specific, what is involved in becoming a civilian pilot following a Military Background?

Just to emphasize my question a bit, and to help you answer it, I am particularly interested in the Fighter Jet (Harrier, F-14, Dagger) area than the large aircraft (Transport, Bombing, B-52 etc) as I would rather remain 'in action' than carry supplies, if you know what I mean.

Especially now that the War On Iraq is beginning to kick off, I guess you could call me one of those foolish people who wants to become an air ace in 80 days!

If you will excuse my contradiction, I would of course prefer the 'straight' route (Firdt Way I mentioned), however if the CFI doesn't take me anywhere, I really would like some information on how you become a civil pilot from the military,

- How long do you serve for?
- What sort of pay is there?
- What kind of contracts do you sign?

Questions such as that are really the ones that need answering, but anything that would generally improve my knowledge on the matter would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Jack.