PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career In Avaiation - What's the best way?
Old 11th Aug 2013, 10:23
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot.Lyons
Wow G thats a bit harsh, you surprise me with that comment! Maybe it was a genuine typing error? We allmake them from tome to time
Maybe. However, I've done two aero-eng degrees and taught on these courses at several universities. I've seen too many students drift into an aero-eng degree because it seemed like a good idea at the time but had no passion for the subject or genuine interest in aerospace engineering as a subject. A lot will drop out at the end of their first year *only* £15k or so in debt, but a great many more graduate through some native ability to pass examinations but little other real subject knowledge or understanding. The majority of the rest thankfully will fortunately just go and do non-jobs such as accountancy or IT where they can do little damage. I talked with one recently.

But basically yes, I'm harsh to anybody who thinks that if all else fails, maybe they'll go and study aerospace engineering. It's certainly a silly (£50k in debt and 3+ years) "en-route" for somebody whose only interest is becoming a pilot. If somebody wants to be a pilot, really wants to be a pilot, then a backup qualification that allows them to make short term money is useful, but an engineering degree is a massive and pointless distraction.

Very simply, pilots should want to be pilots, aerospace engineers should want to be aerospace engineers. Don't study one to become the other at least not to a high level. Self study of aero-eng for interest, or a PPL for an engineer, are certainly healthy. But £50k and 3 years worth?

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 11th Aug 2013 at 10:37.