PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this sort of thing common?
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2013, 09:38
TomJoad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tankertrashnav
Never once lived in MQ so I have no tales to tell. However I am amused that the archaic term "marching in/out" is still in use. I always thought it sounded very silly, and had a mental picture of Fg Off and Mrs Snooks and all the little Snooks "fell-in" outside their new MQ, and on an order from the Families Officer marching in to their new home.
That made me laugh, yes the name conjurers up all sort of parade square madness. In reality it is however not 'archaic' but rather sensible - it basically ensures that when you take over your new home it's presented in a clean and tidy fashion with all the important bits working. The civvie approach of taking a bond is the alternative but a rather blunt one.

The stories that you will hear about "white "gloves" are from a bygone age, and the others of the pernicious Families Officer are of course the exception. In contrast the "when I marched in/out of my quarter it was fine" just dosn't make good copy. For me during the entirety of my service that was my experience of the march in/out system.