PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ground collision YMML - Virgin/Jetstar
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2013, 08:52
Yarra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALAEA Sec. Yes I did read and did understand and also take your point on experience. Experience has to start somewhere though and requires a platform of good training. However my point is also correct, human beings are fallible and the industry has a history of where even the best training (perhaps what was missing in this incident?) and experience does not prevent accidents or people not adhering to SOP's, irrespective of how qualified they are in their field.

I recall a case where a LAME in MEL took out the stanchions of what is now the Virgin Domestic Concourse whilst driving a PBT. The building suffered severe structural damage and fortunately no one was physically hurt, some shocked staff and passengers though.The LAME was licensed to drive the equipment, was very experienced in PBT operations, yet ignored SOP's on two counts, the speed limit and the environment of where the machinery was being operated.

Tragically and sometimes fatally, some issues arise where training or precautions are not taken into account or even considered necessary in an airport environment with people assuming that others will not endanger their own lives or of others, as "common sense" will prevail. It doesn't. Common sense is not common with some humans, a human fallibility.

From a staff utilisation perspective, it is rational not to use Engineers, they are simply too expensive for such tasks and I agree with Whitebait. Use them on core functions of their valuable knowledge and qualifications.