PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 simulator IREX flight test.
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2013, 07:43
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,

When you are working for a company that has a CAR 217 approval, you can do whatever the CAR 217 approval says. In this case, the simulator(s) will be approved as part of the CAR 217.

When you are an individual, it is quite different, hence the contradictions, despite what 40.2.1 may seem to say.

As it stands, a "private" candidate will have to get specific approval from CASA and the agreement of whoever has the simulator you want to use. In my experience, many "service providers" are very reluctant to deal with individuals, because that means they are taking responsibility for the standards. In the case of their "airline" or other customers, it is the training people from the "airline" that do the final checks and sign of the paperwork, and they are covered by the operating company insurance.

I have seen any number of "contracts to provide services" where all the record shows is something like: "Between the dates of xxxxxxx and yyyyyyy, Captain zzzzzz was present when the following sequences were demonstrated" . No mention of standards or competence, that is all for the pilot's employer to determine. It is a legally very thorny and fraught area.

Hence my suggestion of Flight Safety or similar, who have no such "problems".

Tootle pip!!