PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2011 onwards) part 3.
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2013, 05:39
JFlighttt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Young American pilot looking for stepping stone...

Hello, all! Brian here, First thread post on PPRune here. Glad to be a member of the community now. I am a long time member of Jetcareers and was directed to this site for a specific reason. Before I get into that, quick background information:

-19 Years old, based in Chicago, IL
-CPL Multi-Instrument Airplane, CFI; soon to be MEI & CFII
-Currently Instructing at a 141 International-affiliated flight school
-Current time: Total: 440; Multi: 125 (115 being in a Cessna 320)
-Looking to move on up to a different type of flying

As I mentioned, I am looking to move on up. I got my CFI to build time but I'd really like to do something else. Instructing is great but I sure as hell don't plan on doing it for 1000s of hours or my career. I'd like to get into actually flying. As an instructor, you sit there, b*tch and see all the mistakes and barely touch the controls....at least only when you're about to die.

The jobs in North America are harder to come by than I had been anticipating. But, what the hell can I expect as a 19 year old pilot. Anyways, with this new ATP rule kicked in, it's even harder now....maybe not harder but much longer time-taking process. 135 operations out here are 1200 minimum and 91 is who you know. Not to mention how the pay is for regionals. I don't feel like getting <20K a year as an F/O after spending 100K on my training. So, I'd like to move into something else which leads me here.

I recently was told by my boss about bush flying in Africa and it caught me in the thought. I've been doing some reading and web browsing about this career path. I am very interested and I would to here from others on their stance and my position I am in. How I would come about getting into this type of flying. I don't have a wife or anything that I wouldn't be able to leave this country for; I'd only leave this country for the aircraft that would be waiting for me.

I purchased the e-Book of "Low Time Pilots Guide to African Bush Flying" and will get through it soon enough.

As I said, I would like some insight on people that have had first-hand experience with this route or people that have some knowledge about it.
I understand I am in a good position for my age but I would like a different kind of flying, an adventurous type that bush flying would bring out.

Feel free to message me for anything, once again, any insights would be helpful! Thanks!