PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest KLGA gear collapse.
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2013, 12:42
flarepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we are a bit off course here.

fellow pilots:

There are considerable differences between the ASIANA CRASH at San Francisco and the Southwest accident at LGA.

Shall we review the differences?

Asiana...deaths involved

SWA....no deaths.

Asiana...plane is obviously a total wreck and will never fly again.

Southwest...Airplane is substantially intact, a decision to repair will be forthcoming.

Removal of aircraft at San Francisco required CRANES.

Removal of aircraft at LGA required heavy duty tug.

Stall warning/stick shaker activated for Asiana.

Normal airspeed during SWA approach.

AT this very moment we do not know why the captain of the SWA plane took over to make the landing.

AT this moment we DO NOT KNOW why the PILOT IN COMMAND (check pilot) DID NOT TAKEOVER the Asiana plane.

AS far as landing aids, sufficient landing aids were available at both airports , so many
as a matter of fact that no other plane had any problems landing.

While it may not matter, southwest airlines has not killed a passenger while landing a plane. (midway, a death occured to an innocent on the ground)

Asiana has killed more than one actual passenger.

Asiana appears to be mamouth incompetence.

Southwest...well, I think this belongs in the realm of jetblue nut job, or overconfidence . Or fear of running off the end of the runway. Mind you, I probably wouldn't hire either pilot of either plane...but at LGA...I'd have stood a better chance of not being injured as a passenger than at SFO where virtually everyone was injured.

Political Correctness can be fine on the Oprah Winfrey show, but we should check Political Correctness in the luggage compartment as we enter the cockpit to do our duty to keep everyone safe. The right answer, the safe answer should over rule other considerations. just thinking...the only thing these two situations have in common, both pilots are thinking, GEE, IF I HAD GONE AROUND, I would be sleeping alot better now.