PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career In Avaiation - What's the best way?
Old 9th Aug 2013, 23:17
JDA2012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At this point I'm going to chip in - I actually know the OP (Hi!) and have deliberately waited to post until some other opinions were given, as I am also new to the flying game, but do have some experience in other areas which I feel I should share to balance things out a bit.

As you can see on the left, I am 31. I wish I was 19, as what I really want to do is join the military as a pilot, and for that I'm too old, for the RAF anyway. I want it enough that I'm considering emigrating to one of the short list of countries that would take me at my age, which would be a significant effort in itself even before going through any selection process. As such, if you're at all interested in the RAF, I'd apply now rather than wish you had later in life. However, if it's just a route to an airline seat, there way be other ways which are better suited to you.

As you know, I'm also pursuing the more accessible route to flying of paying my way through a modular course here in the UK (and also got my Class 1 before starting); I find integrated courses over-priced and besides this I do not have the sort of cash to pay up front, nor (having a mortgage) am I keen on a very large loan. In the meantime, if any sponsorships become available, I'll apply for those, as having someone else fund my training and offer me a flying role inside the industry would be a real bonus. I do have to balance that against having to pack my job in to train full-time, which does make me wonder whether it is better just to work through the week and fly at the weekend, getting a CPL/ATPL along the way so that I can keep an alternate career going whilst awaiting a job opportunity - this leads me to my next point.

I do regret not pursuing a career in aviation earlier in my life when more options were open to me. At the same time, I am conscious that I can still make a go of it if I choose, and am glad that I currently have a career that means I can afford to fund my own flying. I should point out that I do not have a degree; I went to university for two years (a good one, studying a "hard" science course) but took a look at the course, where it was going to get me, what that would pay and how long it would take, and decided I'd do better just to leave and get working. I do not know what others rank as a decent salary, and I am not looking to boast, particularly as I am certain I'm on small potatoes compared to some here, but regarding the statement "So get a degree, it is vital these days, without it, forget higher paid employment" - I brought in over £55k last year; I do work in the mobile phone industry but not as a salesman .

I've talked too much about me, and not enough about you. However, on the whole, I've seen a little of life and the world, and now wish I'd gone with my gut earlier. If you want to fly for an airline, you can either keep steadily progressing via the modular route or try to get onto a more direct route. I do expect to be able to get a job via the modular route eventually, through simple perseverence - it has got me this far! It may take a bit longer of course...still, always better to regret doing something than not doing it!

Not sure I have actually helped at all, but may assist you in knowing you don't want to be my age and still looking at these decisions .

Last edited by JDA2012; 13th Nov 2015 at 20:36.