PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Seaplanes
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2013, 19:50
  #8 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mare Nostrum
Age: 37
Posts: 1,399
Second video:

Goose Crash Story
Contributed by a viewer:

Here is the story of the fouled landing of the Grumman Goose you have on
your site as: "Wild Landing!".

Please note that contrary to the comments of the reporter, the pilot of
the Goose, Hoot Gibson, is a well-known stunt and airshow aviator who
enjoyed many years of flying after the incident.

Back in the "olden days", when Tamarindo was a small village and everyone
knew everyone else, filmmaker Bruce Brown chose the town to shoot a
segment for his new movie "Endless Summer II". The sequel to the famous
surfing movie "Endless Summer" came a generation later than the original,
and, of course, featured new stars: Wingnut and Pat O'Connor, together
with one of the originals, Robert August.

Living in Flamingo at that time was a pilot, "Hoot" Gibson, who had spent
several years obtaining his commercial license in Costa Rica. Hoot owned a
vintage Grumman Goose seaplane, relic of World War II, and intended to
charter it for tours. Given the state of the roads then - and not much
improved since - a seaplane seemed the way to go to explore a country
surrounded by sea.

Robert August had a fine idea: To charter the Goose to fly the film crew
and its surfers around the coasts of Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Panama,
looking for unknown or little-known surf spots to shoot their sequences.
Apart from being much faster to cover more area, the aircraft was highly
superior to a boat, which could only examine the waves from the "back", or
ocean, side whereas a 'plane could approach from the landward side, too.
"Endless Summer II" was Hoot's first charter in Costa Rica, and was to
last two weeks.

On the first day, the Goose took off from the airport. The plan was to fly
out to Cabo Velas, return along Playa Grande and land in the bay near
Tamarindo estuary, where the crew would board, then to take off on their

The camera crew set up on Tamarindo Beach, ready to shoot the approach and
landing for the movie. But instead of flying from Cabo Velas, approaching
Tamarindo from the west along the Playa Grande coastline, the big Grumman
twin came roaring down the river from the north, putting on a show for the
camera. On board were the pilot, "Hoot" Gibson, and local resident and
California board shaper, the late Mike "Doc" Diffenderfer.

Approaching Tamarindo, the pilot started a right turn to follow the
estuary, but his height was insufficient. Presumably he suddenly became
aware of the power lines which cross the river at that point, and was
forced to fly below them. The right pontoon caught the water, and jerked
the aircraft to the right. Overcorrecting, the pilot put the left float
into the water, and the aircraft swerved to that side.

Gibson applied full take-off power to get the aircraft back into the air,
but it careered from the river onto the beach, where it ground-looped and
came to a stop. The whole incident was filmed, and eventually became part
of the movie.

"At this point," said August, "we saw fuel spraying from the aircraft onto
the sand, and there was a distinct danger of a fire or explosion. As we
approached the 'plane, the doors opened and Hoot and Doc jumped out,
fortunately both unhurt. From a nearby beach house, a resident came
running, carrying a big club and shouting at the pilot that he was in a
national park, and polluting the beach. We managed to calm him down, and
the incident ended at that point."

Eyewitness Dean Butterfield adds: "I was up the hill looking over the
estuary, watching Hoot Gibson fly the plane through it. He was doing touch
and go's in the estuary, I was wondering why he felt he had to do that in
there. As he came out to the mouth I think he saw the cable stretched
across at the last minute and tried to duck under it. He caught the wing
tip and stuffed it into the sand.

By the time I got down to it, there were a lot of people around. I took
pictures and made a T-shirt from one."

Officials of Minae also attended the site very shortly after the accident,
and charged the pilot with flying in a protected zone (Parque Marina las
Baulas). As a result, Gibson's license, obtained over several years, was
withdrawn after one brief flight.

"As it happened, the club-bearing resident did quite well out of the
crash." August continues. "The plane suffered damage to a wing and one of
the propellers, and parts for a vintage seaplane are not procured at your
local NAPA store, so the aircraft had to sit for a year or so while
repairs were made. During this time the aircraft was parked in the
resident's back garden, he and his family being paid for caretaker duty
against theft or vandalism. I believe someone of the family slept in their
garden ornament every night."

The day after the accident, filming continued with a scene where supposed
crash passengers August, Wingnut and Pat O'Connor climb cheerfully from
the Goose, carrying their boards, and run off to the surf.

Seriously concerned that accident investigators or other officials might
confiscate the film shot up to that point, Director Bruce Brown hired a
friend to hop a Sansa flight to San Josť, thence to Los Angeles for
processing. Fortunately, the film escaped customs examination but,
arriving in Los Angeles, it was delayed a couple of days en route for the
processing studio by the Rodney King riots, which occurred in the vicinity
of the studio.

The Goose was eventually repaired and flown out of Tamarindo.
Goose Crash Story
zondaracer is offline