PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career In Avaiation - What's the best way?
Old 9th Aug 2013, 19:37
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There was a time when airline pilot were regarded as highly trained professionals and paid and treated accordingly.

This is all in the past tense in terms of someone your age. Do you really want to be a well paid bus driver?

I've often been asked why I did not turn my hobby into a living. The answer is that I could not take the cut in pay. Now I'm comparatively lucky in terms of the industry I work in and the rates of pay. However do you really have any idea what you want to do to earn a living. At 19 I certainly did not. And more to the point I know a fair number of airline pilots who pretty much hate their jobs - but are unable to do much else which would earn them anything like the same amount of money.

So the obvious course of action is to get a degree. Without that you could not even get a job flipping burgers. You need a degree to be at least equal with your contemporaries.

The time to get it will also allow you to mature a little and see something of the world. You may 'get God' or some other inspiration, or you may see something which really captures your imagination.

But you may be like me and simply see a little further and be able to do that - because you have the qualifications and the interest. There is nothing more frustrating than being excluded from things due to not having the 'right' background.

As far as the services are concerned leaving them is not easy, I've worked with a few people who have done that from senior ranks - the transition has been difficult and not one of them has remained married to their service wives.... difficult transitions!

So get a degree, it is vital these days, without it, forget higher paid employment unless you want to be a mobile phone salesman or something similar. Understand just what being airline pilot for Ryanair actually entails, flying is the least part of it! Decide what you really want to do.