PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEM Roadshows
Thread: NEM Roadshows
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2013, 18:50
Lima Juliet

Received 83 Likes on 34 Posts
I saw the NEM brief this week. It looks and smells like a cost saving measure to me with FS/WO and some Sqn Ldrs unable to serve all the way to the bitter end by default - therefore a much reduced pension that will be part preserved to age 65/66/66/67 (delete as applicable). This will be a big kick in the slats for them, although for Flying Branch Sqn Ldrs and above they will be offered the option to serve until age 60 (which is good news for the aircrew mates amongst us but very bad news for the 'guins). It also looked like the Senior Officers had looked after themselves and screwed everyone else.

The 'LSAP on steroids' seemed arse about face to me. The very people that needed a leg up to buy a house (SACs, Cpls and Sgts) were being given the chance to borrow the least money at an interest free rate - what idiot thought of that!

I smelled a further cost saving rat with regards to allowances. One little gem seemed to be the amalgamation of overseas GYH with UK GYH - I'm pretty sure that UK GYH won't be raised to the overseas rate!

As usual, just like the FAFPS 15 anouncements, there was little detail on how this would affect reserves (in particular Full-Time Reserves). How on earth are we supposed to believe in this "Whole Force Concept" when the Reserves are always an afterthought in such massive consultations as NEM and FAFPS?

I came away feeling let down once again as I have over the past 24 years from others like PAY2000, Options For Change, AFPS05 OTT, SDSRs, etc... Maybe it is my complete niaivity that lets me down!!!

LJ