PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2013, 11:21
P330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't have a clue?

North....

I would take issue with that statement about not having a clue. I don't work for Peel and am not here to defend them but I doubt any on this thread are experienced airport operators with an in depth business knowledge of how to change this situation around. Until we all are, I think its unfair to make comments like 'don't have a clue'.

What we can say, without a doubt is this:

1) Peel do not have a good track record.
2) The market for regional airports is hugely different to what it was 5-10 years ago.

Which other "very regional" airports are persuading scheduled airlines to come to them? Which others are getting charters to abandon their strategy of consolidation and invest in regions? Which other very regional airports are getting lo-co operators in who sustain operations there? If anyone can give me a list, and then add the question which of those airports have the same economical/catchment issues the DTV region has? The point I am trying to get at and I'm here to be proved wrong, I'd be surprised if there is another airport in the same situation as ours that is materially improving?

We all believe things can and should be better but I do think until there is a material change in industry norms, markets conditions, economic conditions etc, I can't see things changing significantly at DTV (in terms of a passenger airport).

Of course, private aviation, business aviation, scrapping and freight are other options - but my points relate specifically to passgenger operations.