PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modified UK C-130J Grounded
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2013, 10:47
StopStart

Champagne anyone...?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block 7.0 is the latest iteration of the ongoing process of FMC software updates which started with the original Block 5.0 (if memory serves). These software updates have just been subtle FMC (CNI) functionality updates akin to those applied to the Smiths FMCs fitted to civilian Boeings.

Block 7.0 is a much more involved update and includes, I believe, new FMCs with improved (read 'some') FMC/autopilot integration. I think there have been some problems getting what are essentially ARINC 429 FMCs to talk to the multiplexing MIL-STD-1553 bus. The UK has lucked out by being the lead customer and supplying the airframe. I suspect all the other JUG members are just glad they don't have an aircraft tied up in Marietta.....

Block 7.0 has been dragging on for a while despite the best efforts of a few talented and pragmatic C130J trials folk (a rare beast indeed these days). Don't compare this to the introduction of the glass cockpit chinook - it's a very different kettle of fish.

I can see absolutely no reason why this will have any impact on the exit date of the C130K which is due to be finally relieved of its zombie existence this October.

This thread will undoubtedly attract a lengthy, rehashed diatribe from Airworthiness Man and The Boy Wonder on subjects various and unrelated