PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norway bristow winchman with wet feet?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2013, 08:36
copterhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The task is on par with some special forces types, and the requirements for fitness are very similar. I know several, and if you think there is a large difference just because one group jumps from 30 ft you are wrong I believe.
Thanks for the reply, but what do you mean by saying that the requirements for fitness are very similair. Do you mean that they are very similair for a winchman and a rescue swimmer? If you know several, could you give me some company names? Thanks in advance.

There's a guy here by the name of Um...Lifting who knows a thing or two about USCG ops
Thanks for the reply, I hope he will join this topic.

You're being far too picky. Whether you're attached to the wire or not, you'll still get ample opportunity to rescue people from the water and then apply paramedic skills.
Thanks for the reply. I guess you are right. I think all those videos I watched about rescue swimmers carved some kind of picture in my brain that shows me that rescue swimmers are more focused on the rescue part then winchmen are.

Again I didn't mean to offend anyone who is part of any aircrew.

If rescuing people is what you crave, then take the necessary steps to enable yourself to get some rescue helicopter time in.
Yeah I saw that, nearly every job posting requires experience. So that would be a good step, where do you suggest I get that time?

You're unlikely to get snapped up as an 18 year old enthusiastic wannabe rescuer unless it's by an organisation with questionable selection, training and standards.
I know that very well. I am planning on earning some money to pay for a degree in paramedic science, that way I may get my first job if I am lucky. If you know an organisation that is not the militairy that does that, please tell me.