PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senior RAF Officers Highlight Safety Dangers From Ground Crew Cuts
Old 9th Aug 2013, 07:19
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But then again some techies have had it easy for a while. I'm thinking of the large Lincolnshire secret squirrel airbase where techies I know have been er, not too hard pushed shall we say.

I'm not arguing the Lossiemouth point by the way, as an ex techie who was out of the RAF loop for 16 years I was amazed by how much things had changed in that time; not just for techies but for all.

I had my share of starting nights at 1700 and finishing when the day shift started at 0800 the next day. Then you had to run the gamut of arseholes on the way back to the mess/block who wanted to know why you hadn't shaved that morning/looked like a bag of ****. They will never know how close they came to being seriously damaged. A week of that soon puts the bags under the eyes.

I remember when I was without transport as a young erk and used to thumb lifts everywhere. I was kindly given a lift by a retired Group Captain all the way to the gates at Conners from Sheffield. On the way we were talking about shifts and the long hours we worked and he could barely believe it. He thought that the hangar was locked up at around 2100 each night.