PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7 little weeks of Sadness..... XV109 today
Old 9th Aug 2013, 05:14
Davita

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason I asked for verification of my post #52 is because I’ve flown as an F/E on many other A/C (B707; L1011; B747) since my tour on 10Sqn’s early VC10s, then later as a VC10 F/E Simulator Instructor.
My recollection of the VC10 is if the crew ‘inadvertently’ position the controls wrongly the take-off configuration warning horn (TOCW) will sound as soon as the thrust levers are advanced, thus obviating a full abort.
That's why the quote in post #49 “crew failed to configure the aircraft for take-off” then aborted and overran the runway; jumped out at me and tested my memory.
Anything can occur before V1, where the TOCW will activate, thus the crew may abort at high speed. For example….vibration may cause the speed brake lever to rise from detent, the variable tail angle switches malfunction, or similarly, the flap/slat switches trigger incorrectly……but, imo, those faults can hardly be blamed on the crew.

thanks to Beagle....Edit.....I got CTOW and TOCW arse about face!
Also that Conways used N3 %RPM for thrust settings...I'd used RB211 EPR for so long I'd forgotten. Standards keep changing .....I was on Bristol engined Hastings when they switched from Lbs Boost to Ins Mg. Should have bought shares in the instrument manufacturer.

Last edited by Davita; 9th Aug 2013 at 08:01.