PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What’s the rule about luggage under the seat in front of you?
Old 9th Aug 2013, 05:10
Roj approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
passenger carry on, bags and all

Now folks, this is a worldwide problem not restricted to LCC's. there are a number of issue, all have been discussed previously.

But to summarize the big points:

1. Bag manufactures labeling a bag "cabin legal".

2. Different standards across the airlines/ports as to how many bags are permitted.

3. Different weight/size standard for carry on bags

4. Different level of enforcement. Ie: the issues of space on a full flight are not such a problem on one with a good load of empty seats.

But for the passengers,try this.
Jump on a set if scales, then weigh your carry on bags, then go to the airlines website and see what the allocation is for pax and bag. (84kg for my airline)

That is the maximum you and your bags can weigh. So if you are 83kgs, you only have 1kg of allowable luggage. Conversely, if you weigh 50kgs, you can bring the maximum number of bags up to the total maximum weight allowed for carry on, eg: 2 bags totaling 10kgs, (not 2 bags equaling 34kgs.)

With the "normal" person being larger than they were in the past, there are some passengers that technically are unable to use any of the carry on entitlement. (And should be paying for another seat if they weigh above the airlines maximum)

The weight and balance and performance figures for take off are calculated using the standard weights of 84kgs, plus check in bags, freight and fuel. These figures are maximized for runway length, weather, engine life etc, and provide an airline with some considerable cost saving.

There are some aircraft that can work out the actual weight once airborne using different parameters, and it is evident that the passenger/carry on luggage weight can be out a lot of the time. The biggest discrepancy I have seen is 1.5%. 1200kg's!!

That may not seem like a lot, but it could be critical in a rejected take off or one engine failure on take off. If also increases fuel burn.

Next time you are getting agitated about cabin baggage with your "standard" cabin bag, Just ask yourself, is me and my bag equal or less than the airlines maximum? Have I done everything I can to maximize my chance of stowing my bag correctly? (Check it in the bag check module, boarded early) if you have, the CC should have no reason to ask you to check your bag.

If by chance they do want to offload your bag, here's a tip, be nice, and comply, otherwise you may go to CDG, your bag may go to ANC!

As for the on board change issue, carry a note close to the value of the food/drink you intend to purchase, and let the CC keep the change, one day, it could stop your bag from being offloaded and ending up in ANC. Karma