PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britain's Taranis Demonstrator Delivered to Australian Test Site
Old 7th Aug 2013, 22:21
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
'500N' I have a good idea about Australia from my time overflying the landscape at high and low levels during my time in the RAN FAA. One memorable long flight was flying hi-level to East Sale from NAS Nowra where an A4G airborne buddy tanker refuelled our pair for a transit / descent to low level near the SA/Vic border to fly at zot feet over the undulating desert dunes/mulga to Broken Hill - climb to hi level for transit back to NAS Nowra.

Another long medium level flight was in a Macchi MB326H from NAS to RAAF Edinburgh (via RAAF Laverton) thence to Woomera for an overnight and return to NAS to Edinburgh then direct to NAS Nowra hi-level with the jetstream. Also I have toured the centre of Oz by car/bus. I think I know the landscape well enough and appreciate it even today living in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney.

As a contrast to the more usual wide brown land another memorable nav was in a Vampire with underwing tanks low level all the way to summit Mt. Kosciuszko with snow from snowline then east to coast and back up the coast seaward of the beaches to NAS. Cool as.

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 7th Aug 2013 at 22:28.