PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Below the GS at SFO again
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2013, 13:33
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GIVE ME A DARN GOOD THRASHING!!

As BOAC said;

- indeed, but in our days there was a little less 'electronic' monitoring so it was probably 'easier' to hack it. Come to that, I can go back a few more years to land at Vref-5 on the 'numbers' (threshold), throttles closed - every time Try that in your modern company jet? As I said, things have changed.

Omigawd, I'm now flagellating myself with guilt at the memory of placing a Bae146, with SLF aboard, on the "keys" at NCL, having shut the thrust levers at 20,000ft and not reopened them. What naughty boys and girls we were then?
And that in a 'frame with NO IRSs, wind readouts, not even the early GPS boxes were available.

Seriously though folks, have the skills deteriorated since then, or has the FDM environment shoe-horned us all into a mindset and skillset where such practices are not only frowned upon but may be impossible to repeat when the chips are down and superior skills are required following some catastrophic failure such as Sioux City??

Before the arrows start flying I'm just asking the question, NOT proposing deadstick arrivals in future, though they did save fuel and noise....................