PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Below the GS at SFO again
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2013, 10:20
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ENERGY MANAGEMENT (YET) AGAIN?

Is it not up to us airframe managers to have the cohones to say to ATC;

"Regret, unable due energy management" when invited/instructed to place our craft in a potentially UNSTABLE approach, a proper response to which is usually enough to permit a more measured and controlled manoeuvre?

So why are we not doing so?

There are a large number of "cowboy" airframe managers out there who regard that as "cissy" and the "we can hack it" attitude seems to be reflected in the spate of overruns at worst or FDM events at best.

Maybe the HR wallahs could be invited to throw away their useless psychometric tests and search for a more reliable testing method to exclude these dangerous characters, possibly before the insurers force them to??

Similarly, training departments and staff should be up to the mark when they are asked for guidance on the subject of E M, a subject which is so sadly neglected or is liable to a variety of methods which only serve to confuse.

My recent conversations with "newbies", otherwise very well-prepared for the line, shows this essential aspect of flying is either not taught well, badly imparted or a confusing variety of methods of (mentally) computing and managing the problem just makes life more difficult and liable to error.

Furthermore, the majority of these "rules of thumb" only refer to the combination of potential (altitude) energy, (kinetic) speed energy, of aircraft and (occasionally) the instantaneous wind velocity. None I have heard of include the weight (sorry, mass!) of the 'frame, which can have a significant effect on the trackmiles required to dissipate this energy, hopefully in an efficient, quiet, smooth and fuel-cheap manner.

Proof of the "m" effect on the 1/2mV squared part of the total is hidden away in the OMs various contained in the EFB or in the drawer beneath the jumpseat in the "NG", sadly it has recently been removed from the QRH Performance Inflight (in my current company), where it should be readily available on a sector by sector basis, especially for the "newbies" as they get to grips with the job.

I suspect that some of the "oldies" are not aware of this significant factor either, but I place the blame fairly and squarely in the hands of the relevant TRTOs.

Rant over, I really must get out more...............................................

Last edited by BARKINGMAD; 7th Aug 2013 at 10:24.