PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The inaugural flight came as a surprise to the passengers...
Old 6th Aug 2013, 20:14
peakcrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My, my, there are some smart alecs on here, aren't there. I am educated to PhD level, I work in universities, and I've worked with experts in several fields, including engineering, medicine, and law. From them I know that very few true experts will say "Trust me, I know what I'm doing" when it is something new, especially when something unexpected has happened, and *especially* when it has happened more than once. I know very few people who would say, with the current level of mishap affecting the electrical systems on the 787, "trust me, I know what I'm doing" - they would have significantly more humility than that, unlike some moderators and others here who *do* claim to have better knowledge than others, when in actual fact, they are as in the dark as the rest of us.

Yes, as I've posted elsewhere, I know that the overall risk from flying is very small, but presumably those folks killed on Comets thought the same. Call it superstition or whatever you like, but I'll stick with my plan to wait until a couple of years problem-free before flying on a 787. (Though, to be fair, I tend to wait at least a couple of years before buying/using anything new - I want enough information to evaluate it first. I did fly Heathrow to Paris and back on an A380 a couple of years back when Air France first got their's - at £10 each way (I think), it was something I wasn't going to miss!!)