PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2013, 20:05
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fractured fairy tales-repaired.

The pre-emptive and IMO wholly unnecessary closure of a Senate Inquiry thread very effectively destroyed the impetus and focus on some very serious issues. I expect there were huge sighs of relief around various campfires. Disappointing? a little, but perhaps our real disappointment should be reserved for those who should know better but chose 'safe closure' over moderation and balance. Aye well, such are the mysteries and miseries of modern life.

I am always amused when a direct quote from a Hansard transcript reveals yet another howler or a crock-up how very few posters (if any) attempt to defend the 'accused'. E.g. I've not yet seen a word said in defence of the decision to leave the sleeping OBR dog from the Pel Air aircraft lay.

Scattered to the winds, posters sought refuge is various threads diffusing cogent comment through various topics; there have been some excellent posts made which would have been of interest to the dedicated followers of the now locked Senate thread:-

ATSB reports – kicked off by Old Akro

ATSB to be reviewed by Canadian TSB - courtesy TWT.

CAO 100.5 – by TNUC.

CASA – The Mc-Comick view – instigated by UITA.

All worthy of a few moments consideration. However, undaunted Paul Phelan has provided a focus point for those who still have an interest and belief (hope) that some good will come from the last Senate inquiry. I don't believe the likes of David Fawcett, Nick Xenophon, Bill Heffernan, Fiona Nash, Glen Sterle et al, enjoy having the likes of Beaker and McComic publicly thumbing their noses at the committees honest efforts to bring some semblance of realism to matters aeronautical.

Sen Fawcett remains unimpressed: “This raises serious concerns about the efficacy of any resulting report unless the Minister ensures that the terms of reference (ToR) and Australian management of the audit are transparent and independent.”
Senator Fawcett again called on Minister Albanese to ensure that this review of the ATSB has the confidence of the aviation industry and the public by adopting Recommendation 8 of the Senate report:
“While the engagement of the Canadian TSB is welcome, the gravity of the issues raised in the Senate report means that theMinister should be overseeing the review with the support of an expert panel rather than the ATSB,” Senator Fawcett said.
“It is critical that this review of the ATSB is allowed to examine all sensitive areas of the ATSB investigation processes as identified in the Senate report including the Canley Vale accident.”
Election squabbling buries air safety recommendations.

Last edited by Kharon; 6th Aug 2013 at 20:57. Reason: Anyone even know (or care) where the fat lady is ??