PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: CASA Regulatory Reform
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2013, 08:07
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Regulatory Reform Program Will Drift Along Forever - Part II

From the Proof Senate Hansard of the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee hearings of 14 Feb 2005, pages 124/5, at: http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/senate/commttee/S8083.pdf
Senator MARK BISHOP—Now that [the Regulatory Reform Program] has been refocused away from a timely conclusion, what is the new completion date and how is it proposed to stop it drifting along forever?

Mr Byron—We do not have a firm completion date at this stage, but we should be able to generate that fairly soon. Mr Gemmell mentioned the refocus, I suppose, that I imposed on the organisation in late 2003-04 on getting the rules right and getting the quality. I found it necessary late last year to articulate in a bit more detail some guiding principles about how I wanted that done and who I wanted to be involved in the process.

I have issued some guiding principles on the formulation of new regulations and, if necessary, manuals of standards that accompany them. I have, I suppose, imposed on the system an additional layer of consultation, to assure me that the final draft rules that I send to the minister for consideration by the parliament are the right ones and that they address very carefully risks that are real and necessary issues that must be picked up by regulations. I felt it was necessary to do that to make sure that I have the right rules. I am not going to put my signature to anything that I do not think adequately addresses safety issues.

Senator MARK BISHOP—When do you think those regulations will go to the minister?

Mr Byron—I anticipate we would start sending some of them from about the middle of this year. I do not see this delaying the overall program excessively. We have an action item to develop a plan to forward to the minister about when we plan to have them to the minister, and I assume that plan would be done in the next couple of months. I would be hopeful that it would not be long after early 2006 that most of the draft rules are delivered to the minister.
[My bolding]

According to Table C of CASA’s Cost Recovery Impact Statement (available here: http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...final_2013.pdf) the estimated costs of “Safety Standards” “Development” for FY 12-13 was $18,077,908.

A conservative estimate of the cost, so far, of the regulatory reform program is $200 million.

A rough estimate of the pages of regulations produced in the last 20 years is 2,000.

That’s about $100,000 per page.

Safety improvements arising from 2,000 pages of new regulations? Not obvious to me.

Efficiency improvements for industry arising from the 2,000 pages of new regulations? Not obvious to me.

Clarity achieved? Quite the opposite.

When will it end? Given the rate of ‘progress’ so far and the list of ‘active’ projects still to be completed, never.

The regulatory reform program will drift around forever.

This Frankenstein must be put out of its misery.

[A plea to potential posters: Please don’t post material that will get this thread locked.]

Last edited by Creampuff; 6th Aug 2013 at 08:08.