PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2013, 16:28
26er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading you GCA operators describing the job reminds me, as a simple driver airframe, of courses I did at West Raynham, one of which was to refresh my IRE category in the spring of 1956. We were briefed on the godlike skills of the West Raynham GCA guys who were able to provide a special service to the needs of DFLS (Day Fighter Leaders School). I stand to be corrected after this long interval but they could cope with a mass of recovering fighters in this manner. Formations would be homed to overhead and then sent outbound, pairs starting their descent at ten second intervals which would put them twenty seconds apart inbound so at say 1500ft and 210kts they would be separated from the pair ahead by a little over a mile. The director would see them in the inbound descending turn and pass alternate pairs to two talkdown controllers, one controlling the first and third and the other the second and fourth pairs. In this way a squadron of eight Hunters, or even twelve, all short of fuel of course, could recover in the most expeditious way. The go-around procedure was to climb straight ahead to 1500ft and call Marham GCA for a straight in, their runway being more or less in line with Raynham's at about fifteen miles and the normal short pattern GCA being impracticable with no gap in the inbound traffic. It all seemed a good idea at the time until "The Raynham Incident" in July '56 when we lost eight aircraft and one pilot killed. The Marham GCA guys were in the coffee bar or somesuch, not in their truck!