PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA/CAA/CASA/ICAO conversion to FAA
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2013, 14:52
pilotchute

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Type rating or Seminole for ATP?

Hi everyone.

I will soon be off the the US to do my ICAO CPL ME/IR to an FAA ATP. I will have all the hour pre requisites but am a bit confused on a particular detail.

The 2 schools I have contacted say my IR must be valid to undertake the FAA ATP checkride in the Seminole or whatever piston twin they use. The 2 sim centres I spoke to said my IR can be lapsed if I want to integrate my type rating with an ATP checkride. The reason I am looking at doing it at a sim centre is that there are some pretty cheap jet type ratings you can do. The 737-200 rating isn't much more than the ATP course in a Seminole. They still fly 732's in my part of the world so I thought it would make more sense to do it in that if its the same price round about.

Back to the question. Does my IR need to valid in my home country to do the ATP check. Well the posters on this forum say no but the schools I have contacted say yes. Are they just trying to squeeze extra cash out of me for a checkride that I don't really need? The FAA website from what I can see says that I need and IR but it doesn't say if it needs to be current.