PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Non-Precision Approaches
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2013, 11:03
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Army_av8r: yes

Stallion: I think the struggle you are having is due to not having flown fixed-wing IFR. Even in the days before CDFA approaches, it was necessary, when flying an airplane, to have at least an awareness of when it was too late to try to land even if you got visual. A calculation was better but depended on navaids and other factors. In my day on jets, we calculated a VDP (visual descent point). It was not uncommon to be IMC at the VDP, visual later in the 'cruise' at MDA, and still be forced to finally O/S at the MAPt.

Getting oneself organized enough to plan a constant descent to arrive at the VDP at MDA set up for the 3 degree app was nice, realizing that going below MDA without being visual first was illegal.

Also, it is always a good idea to remember that legal and practical rarely align completely.

Given the different capabilities of airplanes and helicopters, the same approaches require different considerations.

The OP is just asking about the legality of how approaches must be flown given the current move to CDFA NPA plates. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but I strongly suspect, given the regulatory environment, that 'as published' is how they want you to go. Rotary flight is rarely considered when these decisions are made.