PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS 747 Dubai Final Report
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2013, 09:19
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sqwak7700
You do know that fatigue shows up in almost all accident reports as being a factor. Has been this way for a long time. Was part of the Colgan/continental Q400 and I'm sure it will be part of the Asiana report as well.
While I am all for better rules to lessen fatigue, I have a great deal of difficulty believing that the Colgan accident had much to do with fatigue. Yes, they got forgot to turn of whatever anti-ice switch in their aircraft and therefore got a nuisance stall warning, but that has happened to plenty of people regardless of their level of fatigue(ask an ATR pilot who flies winter ops).

To think that the ridiculous reaction of the captain to the stall warning(pulling aggressively) was something that only happened because he was tired seems way off base. This is an instinct reaction by him, why? who knows but I highly doubt that if it had been earlier in his duty day after an nice long well-rested vacation that he would have done any different. The fact that he had an extremely poor flying record seems a more likely answer. He was just a weak pilot.

Last edited by JammedStab; 5th Aug 2013 at 09:20.