PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help Me Make A Major Life Decision
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2013, 08:23
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never worked fixed wing EMS...

but if you PM me, I might be able to refer you to some operators around Atlanta. Many medics fly fixed wing as well, although none I work with have done so recently.

I agree with the suggestions that you try a different aircraft, instructor or school. You might not be any more comfortable flying with those changes, but you shouldn't fly with anybody who doesn't inspire your confidence. You don't have to like your instructor, but trust is a necessity.

Helos are very, very different compared to airplanes, you fly a helicopter all the time. At some point one stops thinking about flying the aircraft and start thinking about how you want the aircraft to fly. Then helos are easier than airplanes.

You mention being uncomfortable with power failures... I think every working pilot is, I know I'm always planning where I'm putting it down when the power fails as I fly. Always. The anxiety/fear diminishes with experience and training as you become more comfortable with your planning. I know where I'm going, how I'm going to get there, the process is almost sub-conscious now, and has been so for a very long time. I do get the dry mouth when the terrain/situation is unfavorable and not reasonably avoided.

As far as HEMS, it's an okay gig, the novelty wears off pretty quickly, it's just another flying job except it's local. The situations are extremely variable quality of life base to base, or program to program. Generally home every night, working with good people results in a better family life than "Uncle Daddy", living out of a bag and gone for weeks at a stretch. The schedule is okay ( I hate splitting the week day/nights) but 7&7 or 14&14 is not unusual, you can get it elsewhere. The money's better in other realms of the industry, for instance I'd be making about 150% more in the Gulf had I continued in that track.

Last edited by Devil 49; 5th Aug 2013 at 08:28.