PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - casa - The mc-comick view
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2013, 04:38
dubbleyew eight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many GA accidents in Australia have been caused by structural failure in normal service?
the thing is that aircraft are designed to a design target that accommodates the stresses likely to be seen in flight. You don't just build an aeroplane.
to keep it light enough to fly it has to be designed so that it can handle the likely stresses. The encapsulation of these needed strengths has been in FAR23, the american design standards, for decades.

Light sport aircraft has a supposedly simplified design standard managed by the ASTM people. I was shown a copy of this and it beggars belief. the section on tailplane loads isnt even legible or complete. the sections of FAR23 that it was extracted from are legible and complete.

so you have to wonder whether the people in CASA who sanction all this stuff even remotely understand the design process at all???
if they don't understand the design process how will they ever understand the maintenance realities???
has the CASA of today been dumbed down to a totally clerical and lawyer staffing???

where is their competence????????