PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help Me Make A Major Life Decision
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2013, 22:39
Nvrgvup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me Make A Major Life Decision

I will try and keep this as short as possible as I know you don’t care about my life story.

I started flying fixed wing when I was young and got to about 100 hours before I stopped due to running out of money.

I recently started flying helicopters in hopes of one day becoming an EMS pilot and avoiding the constant negativity I seemed to read about in commercial fixed wing aviation.

Well I’m now about 100 hours into flying helicopters and have to say I am very uncomfortably flying them. The looming fact that I have 1 second to lower the collective or else I’m dead in an engine failure is something that is really unnerving. I have zero confidence in my abilities, and feel my instructor(s) have very hazardous attitudes (flying over gross, questionable weather, etc). With something as basic as that, how can I expect myself to land a helicopter on a highway in the middle of the night in windy conditions with a med crew barking orders from the back if I can’t get over the quirks of an R22.

So I’m sitting here thinking, perhaps I would be better as a fixed wing pilot, as I’ve never felt the hesitation and distressing feelings as I do now. As I’m sure all of you are aware, HEMS flying seems very rewarding, the pay is descent, and the schedule is fantastic. I honestly feel as though I’d be better matched as a fixed wing pilot, but don’t necessarily want to say goodbye to all of the “perks” that EMS has to offer. I know a lot of people like to harp on fixed wing as being boring, but right now it seems like a saving grace as to what I feel like right now, but maybe I’ll regret that 10 years into my career.

It’s hard trying to find anything about fixed wing EMS, but is that something someone can get into with winning the job lottery? Is the schedule and pay, and overall lifestyle the same? I’m having a hard time finding the requirements or a recommended path per-say with the best type of jobs to lead up to it.
I really feel like I need a substantial break in my training to cool my nerves and figure out what I’m doing, but I’m at a 141 school and they want me here practically everyday flying. I know the next crucial step is becoming a CFI, and feel that if I need to stop flying for whatever reason, they will have very little interest in me on my return.

Any advice you could give to lift my spirits or maybe some questions to help me decide which path to take would be great.

Last edited by Nvrgvup; 4th Aug 2013 at 23:42.