PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just who are these "Defence Chiefs" ??
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2013, 17:26
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DM late on the round out

Well this really is old news. It was discussed in the PAC inNov 2011 through March 12. In particular folks may wish to look up the writtenanswers from the session on 29th March published in Report 88 inApril 2012.

I feel comfortable to speak with some authority on the matter.Also as with all things the reporting in the media only tells half the story orputs a slant on it to drum up feelings. Same is true of the reporting from the 2011 erain the Telegraph who wished to use the depriving our troops in Afg angle.

Steve Jary the Union man from Prospect, mentioned in thearticle, knew all about this then but chose to do nothing visible. The bigissue at the time was the Public Sector Pay Freeze and those below the thresholdwho did get a small raise. In years gone by when Contractors were brought in theUnion was always consulted and had to make a statement on each individual case.This practice probably ceased in the early 90s. The Union became toothless inmy opinion.

Not too sure what the final numbers were in the reduction ofthe MoD Civil Servants. I believe I was one of 11,000 that left under VERS inFY 11/12. I understand the final number approaches 30,000. Some of my dutieswere being undertaken by a FATS contractor before I left. This continued so faras I am aware several months after I signed out. The thing for me was thatindividual had previously been a Civil Servant with no greater knowledge,experience, and qualifications than I. In fact the background was totally irrelevantto the specific project. I have no doubt that ridding the Department of CivilServants was nothing at all to do with cost savings. The greatest travesty wasthose who left on Friday and reported for the same duties on Monday with adifferent paymaster having accepted a significant pay out. Ursula, the PUS,when questioned by the PAC on this, was unaware that previous release schemesgoing back to 2006/07 had existed. I know at least 5 individuals who left undersuch schemes and came back doing the same jobs under FATS. The positions wereon the supply desks with a few Engineers and Engineering/Project managers. Inall cases those with specific skills employed from the Private Sector gainedthose skills from within the department either in Uniform or the Civilian contingent.I just could not believe how out of touch the senior management in the MoD canbe. The decision makers in my area all wore uniform.

Now then, I can explain some of the motives and rationale butit is just creative accounting. Each team has a manpower control total (xnumber of bums on seats) to undertake the core work. When additional work, suchas a UOR comes along we tried to absorb the work or ask for an increase in MCT.That was often granted but recruitment or redeployment was slow. So we get in acontractor. Usually someone we knew who had left the Services or Civil Serviceunder VERS, until a permanent member can be found. When this increase was notagreed the team leader would hold the sponsor to ransom and demand that theproject came with resource (a body) Now who would refuse when we are talkingUORs? Some did. That body was usually a FATS contractor, again someone weusually knew. Ah; and then there was the staff from all these disbanded teams,Jaguar/Canberra, Harrier, VC10, and Nimrod. Goodness knows where these people went.(You got it – they came back as FATS Contractors) They certainly were not madeavailable as Civil Servants or Servicemen to staff any of my projects. In myarea this past 12 years was constant UOR after UOR. In fact I can’t recall atime when we were not reacting to something going on.
Now work out what is more effective. I do not believefor one minute our troops were denied any kit or capabilities because fundswere being diverted to pay for expensive contractors. However I do consider it awaste when the department get rid of good people and hope the Private sectorcan provide in quick time. One case in point from a parallel thread is the protectionsystem for the Tanker. 2 years and mega bucks being quoted. HTF did we manageback in 82 to turn Chinook round in quick time for Corporate and again for Beirutas I noted on another thread. Then repeat a similar job on a large surveillanceaircraft in a matter of weeks for GW1.