PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S92 FMS
Thread: S92 FMS
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2013, 14:52
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
What I teached was "THINK!" and "FLY The Aircraft!"......what the video is saying is the long version of that.

You can fly the machine using your hands and feet.....or buttons and knobs....or by use of the the FMS......but at least ONE PILOT has to be at the Controls making the aircraft do what it is supposed to do....no matter what form the Controls take.

Loved the Video! Excellent Instructor.

At one place I instructed.....I talked of the "Dipped Shoulder Syndrome".

It was a result of slavish adherence to Check Lists by former Military Pilots and others whose employers who demanded use of Check Lists as part of every action by Crews.

It was noticeable when observed.....Orange or Red Light illuminates on the Flight Deck....and simultaneously (or nearly so) one Pilot's shoulder dips as an Emergency Check List is reached for in anticipation of it being used.

The first reaction should be anything but that.....in my view. For those so afflicted....I counseled "Reset the Master Caution Light....then punch the Clock!"

My reasoning......re-setting the Master Caution was useful and necessary....and punching the Clock allowed for an immediate action that was neither wrong nor could do any harm.....and thus those that needed to respond immediately could do so but not mess up by hurrying.

As the Video talked about.....selecting the "Best" course of action is critical. A few seconds thought can oft times prevent very bad things from happening. Rarely does events demand an immediate, muscle memory instinctive reaction.

As the Instructor pointed out....we create our own Monsters....in his case "Children of the Magenta".....in my case....."Dipped Shoulder Syndrome".

Last edited by SASless; 4th Aug 2013 at 15:05.