PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACEVAL stories
Thread: TACEVAL stories
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2013, 11:53
BEagle

Received 319 Likes on 115 Posts
Ah yes, the Storno. That wonderful device - a 2 handed walkie-talkie. Unless attached to your clothing, you needed on hand to hold the thing and another to hold the microphone / speaker. Batteries last minutes, because they trickle charged the things and never gave them a deep discharge / recharge....

Gas masks, or rather 'respirators' were a PITA! But on one occasion I was running an Ops desk on shift with an ex-Victor person one rank higher, who didn't lift a finger but kept the DISTAFF bored with his tales of Victor times. Then the hotlocks arrived - he generously offered to keep an ear on the phones whilst I went to fetch them. I brought them to the crewroom, then "Have yours, then get back on the desk" was his instruction. Plated up my breakfast, blasted it in the microwave for 30 sec, then scoffed it....a couple of seconds before Air Raid Red was called. Into our S10s - he could only watch as his breakfast slowly congealed. But the smile on the face of the DISTAFF said it all - "Serves the lazy bugger right!".