PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Debut UK/EU flight
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2013, 09:20
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure 'licence to learn' had been really instilled in me either and I doubt you would get that from a typical US based schoo
I remember what the FAA designated examiner said to me upon completion of the flight for my PPL in LA back in the 90's, he said " Well i suppose you are not an immediate danger to the public, you now have what I call a license to learn, use it, and good luck"

Like the OP all my flying was done overseas then tried l adapt to flying here (Northeast of Scotland) by myself by reading as much as I could. If i had it to do over I think 3 or 4 hours with a CFI would have helped cut to the chase.

The biggest issue I came across was weather. In the SW USA, what was advertised was for the most part what you got, here in Scotland however, due I assume to it being a narrow rocky outcropping in NW Europe surrounded by the seas things can and do change QUICK, I have learned to expect the unexpected.

As for what flights are "possible", that crazy bastard Mathias Rust proves anything is possible, he took a rental 172 right after passing his test and flew it for hundreds of miles over the North Sea then into Red Square. Is it possible? Sure. Is it advisable? probably not.

TheFirstDohrnPilot next time your down in this neck of the woods stop in at my strip at Forfar for a coffee.

Last edited by piperboy84; 4th Aug 2013 at 09:21.