PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many sectors do you handfly?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2013, 08:21
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

There's a time and place for everything. If you read through my posts, you can easily see that I'm a big fan of manual flight. In the A320, I only use auto thrust for automated cat II or III landings and I switch off the A/P and F/D on almost all approaches. The important word is "almost".

I'm absolutely, positively sure that I can get my A320 down to cat I ils minima with 550 m vis in a 35 kts gusty crosswind with A/P, F/D, A/T and one engine off with the needles centered. I even believe that I can land the A320 in actual cat III minima without A/P, F/D or A/T. (Done it in the sim) But, I do think that anybody who fails to see that there are sometimes conditions where using some or all of the autoflight systems is the most appropriate thing to do, are even more dangerous then the guys who always fly through the A/P.. (Unless your flying old equipment, without a modern, reliable autoflight system of course)

There's nothing wrong in using the A/P because it makes your life and work easier in certain conditions, as long as you don't need the A/P to fly the plane, because you're not good enough at flying it yourself.

Oh, and please, when ATC offers you do a visual approach in Corfu in ideal conditions, don't turn the offer down!

(Ultra Glide? why are you shouting?)

Last edited by sabenaboy; 4th Aug 2013 at 08:23.