PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2013, 05:05
BSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Didn't really expect to get that one. Firstly "Open House" - just checked the list, my nearest-to-hand photo is on the list and has been done already.

Recognized the plane and then remembered that hangar to be honest, landed there on 10/12/1975 -firespotting for Airwork Australia who had the Forests Dept. contract to operate the fire spotting in WA, then in it's infancy; It was my first flying job.

Whilst waiting for the call to get airborne again, wandered into that hangar to find the Dragon in the photo and a vintage Bonanza. The Dragon was wonderful, like stepping into a timewarp to find it there. Pretty sure it went up to Jandakot a couple of years later.

I understood the strip had indeed been built by the RAAF and was used in the war as a training base for Lockheed Hudsons.

Just looked at Google Earth, boy I see what you mean by encroachment; in 1975, there was NOTHING there. Nearby was a farm strip and a wonderful old character who flew an unlicensed, unregistered Cessna. He proudly told me he didn't have a licence, had only had rudimentary lesson himself but nonetheless flew all over the South West of WA. Carried out all the servicing himself. After all, he said, if you can look after a Caterpillar D9, a Cessna is easy!

Happy days! Loving the WA theme to these latest "Which aerodrome" pics.

BSD.