PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I find info on historic Electra JR NC 2072?
Old 3rd Aug 2013, 22:08
costalpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I find info on historic Electra JR NC 2072?

Lockheed Pictures

My friend and classmate Joe Shepherd (Southern Airways Pilot Class, 1969) painstakingly and artfully restored AC# NC 2072, a 1936 Electra Jr 12A. The plane has won many prestigious awards (Sun n Fun and Oshkosh) since Joe and a few friends personally completed the 19 year restoration in 2009, and it has been featured in two movies ("Amelia" and "42").

Joe has in his possession a letter from a deceased aviation enthusiast which states that these three aviation giants at one time FLEW this aircraft:

Orville Wright
Charles Lindberg
Howard Hughes

(among others)

We would like to find and if possible document the history of this aircraft. Hopefully we will be able to locate logbooks, or other information about the history of the airplane.

We know it was originally purchased by Harold Elstner Talbott, who was a Dayton Ohio Banker, business associate of the Wrights, 3rd Sec. of the Air Force and a major player in the development of aviation in America. It was then sold to The Texas Company, which became Texaco.

We are novices at this kind of research and are just beginning the search, so we would greatly appreciate ANY suggestions, comments and/or assistance in this task.

Please post responses here and/or email us at: [email protected]
[email protected]

Thanks Very Much,

Richard Speer
PO Box 519 Nehalem, Or