PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACEVAL stories
Thread: TACEVAL stories
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2013, 11:12
PingDit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
280SU, Cape Gata, Cyprus, early 70's Taceval. So, there I am, on top of the Ops Building roof at around midnight. All of a sudden, I spot 2 guys at the perimeter fence about 100m away. One gets on the others shoulders to jump inside the perimeter. I knew immediately what to do in this situation of course and cranked the handle of the field telephone next to me to report what I'd seen. Nothing - the line's dead. This was merely a diversion of course. Their mates were already inside, as I was about to find out.

I rushed over to the other side of the flat roof to where the other field telephone was, sit on the pile of surrounding sand bags and cranked the telephone handle.
"And that f***er won't work either" says the pile of sandbags I'm currently sitting on.
Time seemed to freeze at this point.

It was like a Mexican stand-off. It dawned on me at this point that I was now sat on a SAS guy (the 'invaders').
Fortunately for me, he said "don't worry mate, I'll come quietly".
I breathed a sigh of relief and took him down to the guard post at gunpoint where he was searched by the RAF Police. They took a few things off him and seemed satisfied by their search.
He was then searched by some plain-clothed guys unknown to me, who took the scar from his face (fuse-wire), a detonator from his backside and plastic explosive from his armpits. Not surprisingly, I've never forgotten that event!