PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ch 10 chopper crash, Perth
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2013, 05:53
infloweffect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A timely reminder to all 206 drivers young or old. DO NOT Initiate a Level RIGHT pedal turn in a Bell 206 with low airspeed and light winds. Filming usually involves right hand orbits with the camera man on the pilots side with door removed. The pilot makes the mistake of entering a right turn with right pedal to prevent the rotor tilting into the camera shot. Do this and risk LTE. Always lower the collective before initiation of the right turn. This causes the main rotor vortex to rise above the plane of the tail rotor in relation to the helicopters movement downwards. It is not in any txt book or training manual i have ever read but i know it works. Even pilots with many thousands of hours in the 206 can be caught with LTE. If power is available this technique also works with a gentle climb. I have flown the 206 on many film jobs throughout my career. Most instructors or CP's don't know or teach this life saving technique. LTE is demonstrated to take at least 300 feet to recover from a test pilot knowing what is about to happen. If you get LTE you must apply full left pedal and hold that until rotation stops and airspeed is restored. If you are below 300 AGL your in a world of hurt. You may need to close the throttle to stop rotation. Not where you want to be at 300 feet.