PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA bans visual approaches by foreign airlines at San Francisco airport
Old 3rd Aug 2013, 05:38
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the ban is true, I'm not sure I can see a problem.

Those of us who fly into Tullamarine airport (Melbourne, Australia), would be familiar with "From SHEED, clear visual approach" for RWY 34. This requires a 2000' descent and an almost 90 degree right turn in around 5 track miles. Not difficult if you're used to doing it but perhaps not so if you've been flying for 14 hours and used to "ILS to ILS".

Not sure there's a policy on the above, but almost only Aussie and Kiwi airlines get that particular STAR. I've heard the odd United get it, but never any of the Asian airlines.

I know they do not exactly get along with the NTSB but making a mandatory and significant change ahead of any conclusions seems rather more politically motivated than safety oriented.
I tend to agree with the above comment. OTOH, the FAA could be seen to be acting proactively. The ban can always be lifted if the NTSB findings don't support the hypothesis.

My personal belief is that this incident is another indication that modern airline pilots are becoming less able to fly modern airliners.

DIVOSH!