PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TACEVAL stories
Thread: TACEVAL stories
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2013, 15:12
Wander00

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Teceval/Minival stories are either of Aunty Joan at that Norfolk radar station, and of DC of B......k, for whom a certain record was requested on Radio Lincolnshire by the Lineys.

Aunty Joan first -

Ordered by my new station commander to appear 3v weeks before posting, with my new but unentitled at that stage rank badges, for a station exercise (she had of course cleared it with Robby Robson) in which I was to be Ground Defence Commander. My predecessor gave me a 10 minute brief and disappeared not to return that day, and I was "in the chair". An hour later a call came in for an exercise fire at the Tx station (near Stalham about 5 miles away Putting all I had learned "on the hill" into effect, I reckoned CPX fire, off site, CPX civilian fire brigade. Five minutes later I met my new station commander - she swept into the GDCC, fag going, hair streaming - "Squadron Leader, when there is a fire on my station, it has flames coming from it. Send a real fire engine - NOW".

I got a gentle revenge later - 1800 briefing - fighter controllers had spoken of thing of which I knew nothing, then I was up for the Ground Defence brief. "Station Commander, ladies and gentlemen,. So far I have not understood a word. I hope I can do better". Roar of laughter, led by CO. I knew this was going to be a "good" tour.