PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Land the Damn Helicopter!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2013, 15:05
Anthony Supplebottom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Land the Damn Helicopter!

HeliHub has today published a message by Matt Zuccaro, HAI President, in which he airs his opinion about helicopter safety and, in particular, preventable accidents:

With the above in mind and assuming an acceptable landing site is available, why don’t pilots exercise one of the most unique and valuable capabilities of vertical flight — namely, land the damn helicopter! In a high percentage of crashes, this simple act would break the chain of events and prevent the accident.

I once spoke to a pilot who had survived an accident and asked why he hadn’t used his option to make a precautionary landing. He indicated he had not given it direct consideration and had focused instead on destination and mission completion. He admitted, though, that in the past he had worried about the scrutiny he would incur for making a precautionary landing. This didn’t surprise me. In my early days of flying, I, too, pondered the same issues at times, although luckily I don’t any more.

Pilots normally associate precautionary landings with the police showing up, their company incurring logistical and legal costs, upset passengers refusing to fly with them again, the FAA wanting an explanation, the press asking questions, and peers expressing opinions on their abilities.

Yes, these are all possibilities, but think about the reality of the available options. Option one: focus on the situation and its safety concerns, make the precautionary landing, prevent the accident, and have confidence that once you explain your decision, all those you were concerned about will support your actions. Option two: don’t make the precautionary landing and instead kill everyone on the aircraft and maybe some on the ground. Call me crazy, but this seems like a no-brainer.

Obviously, your primary goal should be to not get into this situation in the first place. However, the last time I checked, none of us are perfect. Accordingly, when such landings occur, the industry and authorities should recognize the event as being part of a healthy, positive safety culture. Bottom line: when appropriate, “land and live.”
I support this attitude, completely.

Do you suppose the BHA, CAA, helicopter operators and others would be willing to take steps to encourage an attitude which is more tolerant/forgiving of pilots who make precautionary landings?

Do you agree that making a precautionary landing is better than pushing-on in difficult circumstances?

HAI President Message ? Land the Damn Helicopter! | Helihub - the Helicopter Industry Data Source