PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2003, 00:37
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How hot is hot?

To: Shawn Coyle

I don’t believe it would stick. However there are handheld infra red sensors similar to what a doctor sticks in your ear to take your temperature that could be used for this purpose.

My intro reads How hot is hot and here is an example. We landed our aircraft at Corey Field an outlying field at Pensacola during the summer. Our aircraft was on the ground for about five minutes when I was approached. I was told that the base order was that on a three blade prop one blade must be up and the other two down. I climbed up and onto the wing and the skin was already over 160-degrees F and getting hotter. My feet and skin were burning and in trying to hand move the prop a gas pocket caused the prop to rotate. I almost fell off the wing and by the time I got down my butt, my feet and my hands were burnt. I told the guy to screw the base order or to do it himself. Anyone that has pulled maintenance under similar conditions will know what I am talking about..