PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2013, 11:37
P330

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confession Time

I feel almost guilty saying this, but I'm a regular KLM flyer on business and this year, for the first time, I've done more KLM flights from Newcastle than I have MME. The reasons are varied but at the time of booking up:

1) Newcastle had better connections (less waiting time in AMS) as they have added frequency to NCL. I get longer at home on the way out or if arriving early back into AMS, I can leave to come home at 8ish on the morning (which is the first departure to NCL) rather than wait until 10 for the MME flight. I know there isn't much in it when you take the A1 into consideration, but after flying for 14 hours...all you want to do is get home and another two hour wait in AMS isn't appealing.

2) Cheaper prices. I will always compare the prices of the two, add in the pain/cost of the western bypass and make a call. Newcastle has come out cheaper on a few times this year.

3) Winter. Some of the flights earlier in the year were over the long winter months and I felt more comfortable booking them from Newcastle as I felt the airport had a greater chance of being open.

I've supported this airport for years, and will despite the decline, continue to give it my money BUT only when it is economic and practical to do so. I know travelling through it isn't the best experience but I don't go to an airport for an experience, I want to pass through it as quickly and painlessly as possible and despite the negatives so far this year, DTV is still quick and painless to travel through (grumpy security and border control excepted).

And on the subject of grumpy border control, I've now started leaving my passport in my wallet just to get shouted at for a bit of personal entertainment. I find it funny that with no passengers queuing and no more international arrivals for hours, someone will pass back my passport to me to ask me to take it out of my wallet.....heaven forbid they should take it out of the wallet themselves.

Last edited by P330; 2nd Aug 2013 at 12:26.