PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Unleaded' For G/A..??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2013, 07:22
OpsNormal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creampuff, are you actually aware that valves rotate slowly as they work (otherwise you could make them square, triangular or any other shape you like that would increase valve seat area to get more charge in and out), which is one of the reasons they need some form of deposit regularly being put on the valve face or it will dig itself into the valve seat as there is nothing to stop complete metal to metal contact and galling from the rotating valve as it closes. BTW, your link is broken/not copied correctly and I suspect they would ignore this one small fact as it doesn't suit their argument.

You may wish to expand your understanding further with this from Shell: Avgas Facts and Future which touches on a couple of reasons why some older designed engines will not cope with unleaded fuels that do not have any form of additive in them that protects the valves and their very soft seats. This issue does not affect ALL engines, just a few with certain composition seat inserts.

I respect your superior intellect and intimate knowlege of legal circles and regs etc, however you're well wide of the mark on this one. The last thing I wish to do is enter into a piddling contest but this issue does only effect a small percentage of engines but what it ultimately means is that someone may have to spend $$$$ on designing and certifying new seat inserts that will work well and stay in situ (think expansion rates) - or that will spell the end of the effective life for those engines.

Regards,

OpsN.

Last edited by OpsNormal; 2nd Aug 2013 at 07:25.