PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Did You Do In The Cold War, Daddy?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2013, 20:09
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having served from 1969 - 1997 I hope I may be regarded as having taken part in "the Cold War". Whilst I'm aware that at certain times during my career, I partook in activities conducive to the debilitating of Soviet threats, I can not say that I ever felt in any way under serious threat or any heightened state of concern. Maybe because as a "child of the 50/60s" I had to remain "cool". I did feel under threat, several times in GW1 and Sarajevo. They gave me a few " decorative" souvenirs for GW1, nary a thing for Sarajevo. Having signed on the dotted line in 1969, I believe I understood the "threat" and the expectancy by my employers that I would do my job. Surely, we just accepted that that was the way it was, and got on with it. With the greatest respect to all who feel there should be some reward for service in that period, and those who gave their lives, I truly believe that our service and our success needs no jewellery to mark the facts of the conflict. As they say in that exemplar of British Journalism, the Daily Fail, "go on then, Red arrow me"!

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 1st Aug 2013 at 20:15.